ARVIAT, Nunavut (September 6, 2019) – Premier Joe Savikataaq today announced changes to the Government of Nunavut (GN)’s senior management.
Effective September 9, 2019:
- Kathy Okpik, Deputy Minister of Executive and Intergovernmental Affairs becomes Deputy Minister of Education.
- William MacKay, Deputy Minister of Justice becomes Deputy Minister of Executive and Intergovernmental Affairs.
- Simon Awa becomes Acting Deputy Minister of Justice.
- Gideonie Joamie becomes Acting Deputy Minister of Culture and Heritage.
Effective October 21, 2019:
- Theresa Hughes becomes Deputy Minister of Culture and Heritage.
“As we head into the last half of our Turaaqtavut mandate, it is clear that we need to build on the momentum of our accomplishments to date. These changes balance the varied skills and passions of these individuals, with the substantial work to be done. These are positive changes, and I look to our public service leadership with continued gratitude and confidence,” said Premier Savikataaq.
Premier Savikataaq thanks Pujjuut Kusugak for his guidance in his roles as Deputy Minister of Culture and Heritage and Education, and wishes him all the best as he moves into new opportunities. Additionally, Premier Savikataaq formally welcomes Jimi Onalik as Associate Deputy Minister of Economic Development and Transportation.
Office of Premier Savikataaq